don't know, don't care

View previous topic View next topic Go down

don't know, don't care

Post  Henry Quirk on Fri May 13, 2011 8:07 pm

Elsewhere, someone asked, "I would be interested to know how many here truly don't believe (in god).

My answer...

Me: I don't care if 'god' exists or not.

If 'god' exists then I can only (off the top of my head) conclude...

(1) It's 'all powerful' but (for some reason) chooses not to involve itself in the world (I see no evidence of divine intervention in the world...do you?).

Since 'god' is not involved: I'm on my own. Can't see a good reason to spend a lot of time thinking about, or seeking the attention of, a 'god' who sits back and does nothing but play voyeur (or, maybe, is off doing something else entirely).

(2) It's not 'all powerful' and -- for that reason -- can't do anything in the world.

Since 'god' is limited: I'm on my own. Can't see a good reason to spend a lot of time thinking about, or seeking the attention of, a 'god' who may want to intervene but is incapable.

(3) It's so alien in the way it thinks (in agenda, goal, purpose, etc.) its action in the world is incomprehensible and indistinguishable from natural occurrence.

Since 'god' is an alien: I'm on my own. Can't see a good reason to spend a lot of time thinking about, or seeking the attention of, a 'god' who is so far removed from me I can't hope to frame an entreaty it could even understand.

(4) It's a tricksy, manipulative, prick playing with the world like my nephew does a June bug.

Since 'god' is a fucker: I'm on my own. Only good reason to spend time thinking about 'god' (in this case) is to figure out how to fly under its radar.

Of course: there may be no 'god'...in which case: I'm on my own...*shrug*

What do YOU think?
Henry Quirk
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: don't know, don't care

Post  Mayflow on Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 am

You're on your own. We all are. Being on your own can mean that you are one with everything and can pretty much create whatever you want to in any instant, and that you simultaneously realize that there are many others on their own to share with and to teach and learn from.
Mayflow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top