Insurgent Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who- why- where are we ?

2 posters

Go down

Who- why- where are we ? Empty Who- why- where are we ?

Post  waechter418 Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:17 am

It seems that since we are aware of ourselves we have been trying to find out who, why & where we are and that many of our religions, cosmologies, philosophies and sciences developed around this quest.

The answers differ widely, see for example neurologists, Buddha, Hegel, astrophysicists, Lao Tse or Christian fundamentalists - yet each insists to have the right answer, which is understandable, after all, it is not easy to admit that the quest has been in vain and increases our confusion.

What is going wrong?

waechter418

Back to top Go down

Who- why- where are we ? Empty Re: Who- why- where are we ?

Post  thedoc Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:48 am

waechter418 wrote:
What is going wrong?

Have you looked at the dates of the most recent posts? The lights are on, but nobodies home.

thedoc

Back to top Go down

Post  waechter418 Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:12 am

thedoc wrote:
waechter418 wrote:
What is going wrong?

Have you looked at the dates of the most recent posts?    The lights are on, but nobodies home.  

lets knock at the doors

waechter418

Back to top Go down

Post  waechter418 Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:21 am

are you afraid of burglars ?

waechter418

Back to top Go down

Post  thedoc Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:48 pm

waechter418 wrote:
thedoc wrote:
waechter418 wrote:
What is going wrong?

Have you looked at the dates of the most recent posts?    The lights are on, but nobodies home.  

lets knock at the doors

Unless you want to talk about Buddhism and consciousness, I might have some ideas, might not be very good, but still.

thedoc

Back to top Go down

Post  waechter418 Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:41 pm

It´s your turn !

waechter418

Back to top Go down

Post  thedoc Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:44 am

I like D. T. Suzuki, he took concepts of Zen that were the product of the oriental way of thinking and translated them into concepts that a product of the western mind could comprehend. Not everyone got his ideas and many times the concepts were totally screwed up, but the raw material was there for people to work on.

Many years ago I had a lot of books about Zen and would read and re-read them, now they are gone and I only have a few, but somewhere I read that all are enlightened, but just don't know it. So I decided that since I was already enlightened but just didn't know it, I would skip all the hard work and play with my grandchildren. They are in school now, so I don't see them nearly as much as I did before, from the time they were born I would take care of them when their parents were working, sometimes 6 days a week all day, and that included getting the older ones from school and taking care of them till their parents picked them up.

thedoc

Back to top Go down

Post  thedoc Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:00 am

My one granddaughter is now 6 but when she turned 3 she announced that she wanted to start using the potty, about the same time she pulled a little trick on me. She was with me for the day and her older brother was in school, she came over to me and said "I pooped". I picked her up, smelled and she smelled like she had pooped. So I carried her back to the one bedroom saying that I would change her and she agreed that would be better. I pulled her pants off, undid her diaper and it was clean and dry and I said "You didn't poop." She immediately started crawling around on the bed laughing and saying "That Funny". I just stood there holding the clean diaper, with my mouth open.

One other time I actually changed her dirty diaper and I made myself a promise that I would be around to change, or at least help to change, her child's diaper. I don't think I actually told her this, I don't want her to feel she has to hurry.

thedoc

Back to top Go down

Post  waechter418 Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Zen is my favorite past time too - particularly the funky teacher-pupil stories, used to giggle myself to sleep with them. Regarding its serious aspects, i find "The way of Zen" by Allan Watts most illuminative.
And that reminds me of the post titled "Philosophy of the empty Ego" and the nasty responses - i think the administrator should have kicked them out - but perhaps he thought that to be a demonstration of ego too - whatever, i think it is a bit masochistic to start a philosophical forum with denying ego - after all it is its fuel.
Now i am going for breakfast - have a nice day pirat

waechter418

Back to top Go down

Post  thedoc Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:00 am

I hope you had several good meals since then but you didn't leave me with much to work with. I had that book by Allen Watts but didn't get very far with it, don't have it now, but I do have "Cloud Hidden, Whereabouts unknown" and I will give it another try. If you note I did try to make a go of the other thread, but it seems to have fell flat. I read the "Funky Teacher-pupil stories" as koan's to be thought about and understood, till they made you stop thinking and be enlightened. I would say that the ego is part of the process, and those who try to eliminate it are making a mistake.

thedoc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum